Face Your Fear: Stepping Into The Unknown (A Skydiver's Perspective)
Fear can often be crippling. It can keep us from living the life we dream of, making important decisions, and taking steps into the unknown. It often stops us dead in our tracks before we can even get started.
After surviving a skydiving malfunction that almost killed me, I had come to a place where I needed to decide - would I jump again? I faced my fears head on and went on competing in skydiving and I even had the opportunity to do a world record attempt. You too can overcome the fears that may be holding you back!
Below are some notes and references I used in my class, and make sure to visit our events page for upcoming classes!
TRUTH ONE: The fear will never go away as long as I continue to grow.
TRUTH TWO: The only way to get rid of the fear of doing something is to go out and do it.
TRUTH THREE: The only way to feel better about myself is to go out . . . and do it.
TRUTH FOUR: Not only am I going to experience fear whenever I'm on unfamiliar territory, but so is everyone else.
TRUTH FIVE: Pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the underlying fear that comes from a feeling of helplessness.
1) What in life makes you feel MOST ALIVE?
2) What have you been wanting to try for the first time that your INNER VOICE has been encouraging you to do? (This is not something you think you should do but rather something that you dream of doing for you and only you)
3) What is your fear(s) in taking the first step? (It is okay to be afraid)
4) Laying any fears aside, how would it make you feel if you were to try this for the first time? (Really step into this...imagine as if it's happening)
5) What is ONE STEP (baby step or giant leap) you are willing to take now toward your dream/goal? (Feel the fear...and DO IT ANYWAY)
6) What do you have to lose in trying? (I'll answer this for you. The answer is: NOTHING!! But you have EVERYTHING TO GAIN!!)
STEP INTO THE UNKNOWN...YOU CAN DO THIS!!
Inspirational Quotes to Remember:
"The reason it's so hard to see fear as a friend is that we let it remind us of what we don't want instead of what we do" -Meera Lee Patel
"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." -Eleanor Roosevelt
"You need to use fear, otherwise it uses you. Remember, bravery isn't being fearless and unafraid; it's being fearful and doing something anyway." -Tony Robbins
"You will never overcome a fear by walking away from it." -Tony Robbins
"Comfort keeps us where we are so that we don't accidentally venture into the unknown: a place of complete mystery and magic. The unknown is one of the most beautiful places we can visit; but we usually try our best never to go." -Meera Lee Patel
It's Not About the Horse, It's About Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt
-Wyatt Webb with Cindy Pearlman (Hay House, Inc., 2002)
My Friend Fear, Finding Magic in the Unknown
-Meera Lee Patel (Penguin Random House LLC, 2018)
Feel The Fear...and Do It Anyway
-Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. (Ballantine Books by Random House Publishing Group, 1987, 2007)